Google+ Spices in the Cookie Jar: Achari murgh

Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Achari murgh


Hello peeps,

How's everyone doing? I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas & New Year's. I had a well deserved break from everything and simply enjoyed being at home and meeting up with some friends.
Ok, first of all let me apologise for my long absence and lack of updates. Although it was disheartening to see this space die I simply didn't have the enthusiasm to even string together a few words, let alone make meaningful sentences. Also, my parents and brother were here and that's the other reason that kept me away from this space for so long. I'll try and be more regular in posting stuff, but hey no promises okay (only because I don't want to eat my words later ;)).
Well now that we are well into the new year, how are those new year resolutions coming around? :D Have they become life long habits yet or have they been long forgotten and shoved to the back of your mind to be dusted off and reused again come another year? ;) Since I fall into the latter category I don't really bother making resolutions because I know only too well that I am never going to stick to them....hmm :( So if anyone asks me about my resolutions I go "New year resolutions!? Meh! They are overrated!"
It doesn't make sense to me, why does the resolve to change only come around during the New Year's? Shouldn't we all strive to be better individuals, leading the best life and making the most out of life whenever we can? Why wait around for the New Year to make those changes?
So, my only resolution is to have the best year possible by riding through life's ups and downs, and to look back and say - yeah, that was a fun year! :) I know this is coming a few days (17 to be exact :P) too late but here's to a wonderful New Year, to the things that are yet to come, and to the memories that we hold.
Happy New Year everyone! :) So let's get to the recipe then.  


Ingredients:

Chicken - 600 g (I used boneless, with bone is also good)
Onion - 2 medium, chopped
Ginger,garlic,green chilly paste - 1.5 tbsp
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
Oil as required

For marinade:
Curd - 1 cup
Kashmiri chilly pdr - 1.5 tbsp
Amchoor pdr - 1/4 tsp
Achar masala - 1 tsp
Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
Melam biryani masala - 1 tsp
Nutmeg pdr - 1/4 tsp
Lime juice - 1/2 a lime
Salt as required

For achar masala:
Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek - 1/4 tsp
Kalongi (onion seeds) - 1/4 tsp
Fennel - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp

Dry roast the above spices and let it cool before grinding it to a fine powder. Use 1 tsp for this recipe and store the rest in an air tight container for later use.

For tempering:
Mustard oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig, chopped
Dry red chilly - 2
Coriander leaves - for garnish


How to:
Wash and clean the chicken and cut it into bite sized pieces.
In a bowl whisk all the ingredients under marinade. Add the chicken into this, mix well and keep it aside for at least an hour.
In the meantime, heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion. When it turns translucent add the ginger, garlic and green chilly paste, fry till nicely browned. Mix the tomatoes and cook till it turns soft and mushy.
Add the marinated chicken and combine well. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
Remove the cover and cook till the gravy thickens or move to the next step if you prefer having more gravy.
Temper the mustards seeds, curry leaves and dry chilly and pour into the curry. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with roti or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment